The LoRa Developer Forum is now in read-only mode and new content will not be added.
Semtech, in its commitment to enhance user experience and streamline content, has successfully integrated the LoRa Developer Portal content into Semtech.com. As a result of this consolidation effort, the LoRa® Developer Portal Forum will be discontinued on May 1st. After this date, you will be automatically redirected to Semtech.com.
For any technical support related to LoRa, please feel free to reach out to our experts here. If you have sales inquiries, please contact us here.

FORUM

Significance of LoRaWAN classes in developing a LoRa Node with sensors

I am just curious about the LoRa technology and exploring about that I got stuck where LoRaWAN class (A, B and C) have been defined. My doubt is, if I want to design a LoRa Node with any LoRa enabled modules available in the market (By vendors like Ai-Thinker, Heltech, pycom etc which uses SX12xx LoRa transceivers) do I need to care about Class while programming the node for transmissions and receptions? Do they handled by the LoRa transceivers or we need to handle it by writing the code?

Dear,

You have to select the class according to your application:

• Class A: The device sends an message when it needs, but can only receive data after a message emission. Lowest power consumption
  • Class B: The device sends a message when it needs, and can also receive data every 2-128 seconds (user selection: tradeoff between downlink latency and power consumption) . Consumes a little more than class A devices
  • Class C: The device sends a message when it needs, the device can receive a message at any time. Highest power consumption mode

Then you can use LoRaMAC-node and set the class you want to use. If you are new to LoRaWAN you can follow the LoRaWAN academy, introducing all the aspects of a LoRaWAN network.

Thanks for the detailed information about the classes. Now I got some clarity.