The LoRa Developer Forum is now in read-only mode and new content will not be added.
Semtech, in its commitment to enhance user experience and streamline content, has successfully integrated the LoRa Developer Portal content into Semtech.com. As a result of this consolidation effort, the LoRa® Developer Portal Forum will be discontinued on May 1st. After this date, you will be automatically redirected to Semtech.com.
For any technical support related to LoRa, please feel free to reach out to our experts here. If you have sales inquiries, please contact us here.

FORUM

Minimal Interpacket Gap

Hi,

I would like to make a prediction about energy consumption. To do this, I need to know what the minimal interpacket gap is, that can be technical achieved when sending several different frames with the SX1261/2. I am not asking about the regulation. I know those limitation.

I have not found this information in the documentation.

Are there any empirical values or is there even a specification in the documentation that I have overlooked? Thank you very much!

However, I recently did some measurements myself:

• Board: NUCLEO-WL55JC1 running with Zephyr
  • Modem: LORA
  • Freq: 868.3 MHz
  • BW: 500kHz
  • SF: 5
  • CR: 4/5
  • PRMBL: 10
  • PYLD: 3 Byte

The following figure shows a power consumption measurement of the RF part (cf. JP2 on the NUCLEO-WL55JC1). Some adjustments in the stack to reduce the duration between 2 frames have been made. After each transmission an interrupt is triggered which causes a new transmission. Each frame can be sent with its own payload.

I have no idea if the duration between the packets can be reduced even more. The minimum possible gap in my case is about 1.39ms.

For my application, I would prefer to have continuous preamble with regularly embedded data frames. Does anyone know a way to achieve this with the SX126X? As far as I know, the datasheet from Semtech provides no possibility to achieve that.

Thanks

With https://github.com/ExpressLRS/ExpressLRS the packets are sent very close together. From memory down to 400us apart with the sx1280. We havent found a limit beyond trying to fit all the SPI commands in between transmissions.

I dont think a fallback to preamble is available, but it would be neat as an option.

1 Like