The LoRa Developer Forum is now in read-only mode and new content will not be added.
Semtech, in its commitment to enhance user experience and streamline content, has successfully integrated the LoRa Developer Portal content into Semtech.com. As a result of this consolidation effort, the LoRa® Developer Portal Forum will be discontinued on May 1st. After this date, you will be automatically redirected to Semtech.com.
For any technical support related to LoRa, please feel free to reach out to our experts here. If you have sales inquiries, please contact us here.

FORUM

Implementation questions regarding Class B Device

Hello,

I am currently trying to implement a Class B device, but I did not found any clear example which describes the whole procedure (ex: needed functions, logical order of calls, etc…)
I am using a STM32WL55JC1 board as EndNode, and a Dragino LPS8N (without SIM module) as gateway.

As I’ve been reading, the gateway needs to have a GPS to be able to send beacons, but since it will be placed indoor, there is a big chance that the GPS signal will be really poor. The LPS8N gateway have a fake_gps feature, which is enabled, and I was able to change on the local_conf.json file as following (I am using EU868):

“fake_gps”: true,
“ref_latitude”: (real gateway lat),
“ref_longitude”: (real gateway long),
“ref_altitude”: 420,
“beacon_period”: 128,
“beacon_freq_hz”: 869525000,
“beacon_datarate”: 9,
“beacon_bw_hz”: 125000,
“beacon_power”: 14,
“beacon_infodesc”: 0,
“time_interval”: 30,

but I still dont see any beacons been sent by the gateway. Are the beacons exclusively handled by the gateway, or does the Network-Server also has something to do with it? I tried already a paid-instance of TTN and own hosted ChirpStack, but I still cannot change the device to Class B.

Currently I use the LmHandlerRequestClass to change to Class B , which calls LmHandlerDeviceTimeReq. After that, it checks for the beacon acquisition (inside MlmeConfirm function), which always fails, and another time request is sent again.

The periodic-uplink-lpp example also did not helped me too much.

I would be very grateful if anyone can give me some direction or some examples of how to implement
a class B device or point me out my current errors.

Many thanks in advance!
Nathan

1 Like