The LoRa Developer Forum is now in read-only mode and new content will not be added.
Semtech, in its commitment to enhance user experience and streamline content, has successfully integrated the LoRa Developer Portal content into Semtech.com. As a result of this consolidation effort, the LoRa® Developer Portal Forum will be discontinued on May 1st. After this date, you will be automatically redirected to Semtech.com.
For any technical support related to LoRa, please feel free to reach out to our experts here. If you have sales inquiries, please contact us here.

FORUM

SX1280 reported RSSI accuracy

I am doing some basic testing to check the power output performance of the SX1280 radio.

I have two identical boards with an SX1280 with signal routed to an SMA connector.

If I set the SX1280 to output at +13dBm with a CW, I get roughly this measured on an SA connected to SMA connector on both boards.

If I now connect both boards directly to one another and transmit LORA packet data from one to other and read the Params.LoRa.RssiPkt value (which seems to convert to dB inside sx1280.c), I consistently get 12dB less than transmitted values.

Eg, transmit packet at 0dB, received at -12dB through a very short wired connection.

What would account for that loss if connection to SA shows matching circuit is OK?

Is the modem interpreting the signal level in a way I am not understanding?

I have just repeated the test with two LAMBDA80 reference boards and got the same result.

Reading the datasheet for RSSI and SNR for LoRa, it seems I need to subtract the SNR from RSSI when SNR is negative to get correct RSSI.

Should I be adding the SNR to RSSI to get correct RSSI when SNR is positive? In my case I would get the correct value as SNR is 12. But this is not mentioned in the datasheet