The LoRa Developer Forum is now in read-only mode and new content will not be added.
Semtech, in its commitment to enhance user experience and streamline content, has successfully integrated the LoRa Developer Portal content into Semtech.com. As a result of this consolidation effort, the LoRa® Developer Portal Forum will be discontinued on May 1st. After this date, you will be automatically redirected to Semtech.com.
For any technical support related to LoRa, please feel free to reach out to our experts here. If you have sales inquiries, please contact us here.

FORUM

Suitability and Design Selection for End-devices and LoRA Gateways

Hello All,

I am in the design stage and trying to find the right things to design and adjust the following requirements for a real-time monitoring and control use-case.

1. Send data from the end-device to the application server via gateways at second or minute intervals. What would be achievable time intervals with the LoRA? and What would be maximum payload can be sent? Several research papers are claiming that to achieve 1-second time-interval data transfer. Any thoughts on it?
  2. What would be the achievable number of end-devices that can be connected to the gateway? Would there be challenges while the number grows up, for example, 1000 or more?
  3. What would be the maximum downlink payload sent from the application server to end-devices?

I understand we can not satisfy the Power, Coverage, and Bandwidth all together for the use-case. In my application, I want to select desirable Coverage and Bandwidth and provide the required power supply for end-devices and gateways to work on US915 channels.

Thanks,
GRK

Hello,

the Maximum payload len depends on the SF and the BW, is US :
https://lora-alliance.org/resource_hub/rp2-101-lorawan-regional-parameters-2/
chapter 2.5.6

also the interval depends on the payload length SF and how many channels the gateway is using.
but you can consider that the interval is about several seconds

it completely depends on the TX interval of the end device. if each end device sends every 5s, 1000 nodes will be impossible, BUT if the interval is about few hours 1000 for one gateway could be possible. it depends on your use case

the Maximum payload len depends on the SF and the BW, is US :
https://lora-alliance.org/resource_hub/rp2-101-lorawan-regional-parameters-2/
chapter 2.5.6

Ben

Thanks, Ben, for your responses.

Are there any guidelines or formulae to calculate the gateway’s maximum number of nodes for various time-intervals and other dependency parameters?

Also, I notice LoRA specifications like 1.02, 1.03, and 1.1. I could find gateways/nodes suit to only 1.02 specifications, but, couldn’t find any devices suit to 1.03. Can you help me on how we can upgrade the 1.02 ones or where can I get the 1.03 ones? Also, are there any devices suit to 1.1 specifications? How is the 1.1 different from the 1.0X series? Is 1.1 superior to the 1.0X series?

Thanks,
GRK