The LoRa Developer Forum is now in read-only mode and new content will not be added.
Semtech, in its commitment to enhance user experience and streamline content, has successfully integrated the LoRa Developer Portal content into Semtech.com. As a result of this consolidation effort, the LoRa® Developer Portal Forum will be discontinued on May 1st. After this date, you will be automatically redirected to Semtech.com.
For any technical support related to LoRa, please feel free to reach out to our experts here. If you have sales inquiries, please contact us here.

FORUM

Semtech SX1268 RSSI Calculation

Hi there, I am very new in LoRa. I am unable to find the correct value of RSSI. For example, with 1m distance between Tx and Rx, I am getting -256 dBm packet RSSI, although with zero packet loss, I guess. The GitHub code is here: Here and
Here

def get_channel_rssi(self):
        GPIO.output(self.M1,GPIO.LOW)
        GPIO.output(self.M0,GPIO.LOW)
        time.sleep(0.1)
        self.ser.flushInput()
        self.ser.write(bytes([0xC0,0xC1,0xC2,0xC3,0x00,0x02]))
        time.sleep(0.5)
        re_temp = bytes(5)
        if self.ser.inWaiting() > 0:
            time.sleep(0.1)
            re_temp = self.ser.read(self.ser.inWaiting())
        if re_temp[0] == 0xC1 and re_temp[1] == 0x00 and re_temp[2] == 0x02:
            # print("the current noise rssi value: -{0}dBm".format(256-re_temp[3]))
            print("the last receive packet rssi value: -{0}dBm".format(256-re_temp[4]))
        else:
            # pass
            print("receive rssi value fail")

Any adjustments or how to calculate RSSI?

Hi @mithun.mukherjee - welcome on the developer portal!

Can you please elaborate on how you perform this RSSI measurement?

• What are the functions you are calling?
  • In which mode is the transceiver?

The mode is WOR or Transmit mode
After RSSI is enabled in the transmit node, it seems that when I send the command 0xC0,0xC1,0xC2,0xC3 to obtain the RSSI value of packet and ambient noise.

This is the following code that I used:

def get_channel_rssi(self):
 GPIO.output(self.M1,GPIO.LOW)
 GPIO.output(self.M0,GPIO.LOW)
 time.sleep(0.1)
 self.ser.write(bytes([0xC0,0xC1,0xC2,0xC3,0x00,0x02]))
 time.sleep(0.5)
 re_temp = bytes(5)
 if self.ser.inWaiting() > 0:
 time.sleep(0.1)
 re_temp = self.ser.read(self.ser.inWaiting())
 if re_temp[0] == 0xC1 and re_temp[1] == 0x00 and re_temp[2] == 0x02:
 print(“Noise RSSI : -{0}dBm".format(re_temp[3]))
 print(“Packet RSSI: -{0}dBm".format(re_temp[4]))
 else:
 print("receive rssi value fail: ",re_temp)

The meaning of last two hex value in [0xC0,0xC1,0xC2,0xC3,0x00,0x02] is as follows: 0x00: Begin address and 0x02: is the number of register to read. The return value will be 0xC1 0x00 0x02 + Data, i.e., to say, 0xC1 + Begin address + number of register to read + Data of each registers

So, does it mean that re_temp[3] and re_temp[4] store the noise and packet RSSI, respectively?

After I run the code, I found that the re_temp[4] always returns integer value of 0.

Please correct me if I am doing anything wrong here.

There are actually different ways to get a RSSI value from the chip.

The first one is when you receive a packet (RxDone event). You can send a command sx126x_get_gfsk_pkt_status() or sx126x_get_lora_pkt_status() depending on the modulation you are using: you’ll get the value you are looking for.

The other way is more “manual”. You put the chip in RxMode with a call to sx126x_set_rx() - pay attention to the value of the timeout - and then you can request the RSSI with a call to sx126x_get_rssi_inst() while the chip is in RxMode.

You can find a reference implementation for the driver here (https://github.com/Lora-net/sx126x_driver)