The LoRa Developer Forum is now in read-only mode and new content will not be added.
Semtech, in its commitment to enhance user experience and streamline content, has successfully integrated the LoRa Developer Portal content into Semtech.com. As a result of this consolidation effort, the LoRa® Developer Portal Forum will be discontinued on May 1st. After this date, you will be automatically redirected to Semtech.com.
For any technical support related to LoRa, please feel free to reach out to our experts here. If you have sales inquiries, please contact us here.

FORUM

Reconfigure SX1303 receivers

Previously we have been using our own mPCIe design with the SX1301 + SX1257, but with the recent supply chain issues getting the SX1301 we’re working to integrate off-the-shelf reference designs based on the SX1302/03.

This issue relates to the SX1303 + SX1250 reference design card from RAKWireless (RAK5146) and having difficulty re-configuring the RX chain during operation. On the initial bring-up (using the SX1302 HAL) it appears the radios are configured properly and I’m able to RX our beacon on the downlink channel.

I attempt to reconfigure the RX chain on the fly using the following order of HAL functions:

sx1302_radio_host_ctrl(true)
sx1250_setup
sx1302_radio_set_mode
sx1302_radio_host_ctrl(false)

This results in the following errors (and obvious crash):
ERROR: Failed to set SX1250_0 in STANDBY_RC mode
ERROR: UNKNOWN TX STATUS 0x05

Side note: the datasheets for the SX1303 and SX1250 do not have any information regarding the registers so I cannot interpret the 0x05 status. Is there a document that describes the registers for these chipsets?

Following the HAL more closely, if I reset the front-end radios (sx1302_radio_reset) before sx1250_setup, it does what I expect it to do (no confirmations on the ability to RX), but it takes ~2.5s which is way too slow from our needs (reconfiguration with the SX1301 takes < 50ms).

I have also tried simply issuing the commands called in the setup function to change the frequency (e.g.):

sx1250_reg_w(SET_RF_FREQUENCY, buff, 4, rf_chain)

This also causes the same errors mentioned above.

It should be noted that we do not use the packet forwarder - we have our own radio + protocol software - but we are using the HAL layer.

The formal question is: What is the correct way of re-configuring the RX chain on-the-fly that doesn’t require completely stopping and re-starting the concentrator (lgw_stop, lgw_start)?

Thanks in advance.