The LoRa Developer Forum is now in read-only mode and new content will not be added. If you require technical support related to LoRa, please contact our experts here. For sales enquiries, please contact us here.

FORUM

PA_BOOST Resets Chip

I’ve been going insane trying to figure out why my microcontroller was resetting after every lora transmit event. Eventually I hit on turning off the PA_BOOST pin and going with the defaults (setting 0x09 to 0x4F) and the problem went away. There must be a better solution to this however. Does the chip need to be shielded in to use PA_BOOST with some microcontrollers? I’m using an ATTiny1614.

Thanks.

So when you select PA_BOOST, which increases the power level and current consumption of the LoRa device, the microcontroller resets ?

Once again, I probably should have waited be for asking for help. I guess the USB hub I have this connected to is not providing enough current. It must have just been on the cusp.

It’s still odd that if I connected a good monopole-groundplane antenna to it, the problem went away.

Often it is the sudden inrush caused by the RF PA on the chip. Consider a 100uF ceramic across the PSU next to the LORA chip. Also a ferrite and 10uf to supply the CPU never hurts.

Thanks Simon. Much appreciated. I’ll give that a try.