The LoRa Developer Forum is now in read-only mode and new content will not be added. If you require technical support related to LoRa, please contact our experts here. For sales enquiries, please contact us here.

FORUM

LoRa maximum packet size

We are developing a intelligent LoRaWAN vibration sensor node, using Murata’s 1SJ module (SX1262+ STM32L). We are using STM32 I-CUBE-LRWAN software expansion package for application development. I am tweaking the existing sample application (LoRaWan_End_Node). I could see the maximum application payload is restricted to 242 bytes and is defined by LORAWAN_APP_DATA_BUFFER_MAX_SIZE. The vibration node application demands transferring 2048 bytes(1024 FFT data point of 2 bytes each) of data every one hour. Is it something that is possible using LoRaWAN? I believe that the data has to be fragmented into smaller chunks for transmission. We are considering to restrict the minimum data rate to DR3 or DR4.Any help on the implementation or a reference would be great.

Your planning to send a lot of data, you might have problems keeping to the TTN access limit of 30 seconds air time, especially if the nodes are not real close to the gateway, and the nodes adjust to the lower data rates.

Your question is more related to TTN then LoRa as such, it might be better to ask in the TTN forum.

Hi @kousik.barathwaj. Depending on your region, you may also have to pay attention to the regulation.