The LoRa Developer Forum is now in read-only mode and new content will not be added.
Semtech, in its commitment to enhance user experience and streamline content, has successfully integrated the LoRa Developer Portal content into Semtech.com. As a result of this consolidation effort, the LoRa® Developer Portal Forum will be discontinued on May 1st. After this date, you will be automatically redirected to Semtech.com.
For any technical support related to LoRa, please feel free to reach out to our experts here. If you have sales inquiries, please contact us here.

FORUM

Gateway downlink after unconfirmed data uplink

I am working on a project based on the Arm Mbed LoRaWAN example, which uses unconfirmed uplinks. To my knowledge, unconfirmed uplinks should not be acknowledged by the receiver, as stated in Section 4.2.1.2 in LoRaWAN L2 1.0.4 Specification.

I noticed in my backend (using ChirpStack) that once a message was sent, it receives an UnconfirmedDataDown. So my question is if the spec states that it shouldn’t be acknowledged, then why does my gateway (running LoRa Basics Station) respond to an UnconfirmedDataUp with an UnconfirmedDataDown?

Hi,

There are MAC commands that can be initiated by the Network Server to control radio communications like a new ADR or frequency plan , this downlink is probably one of them. Maybe you can have more information on this downlink in Chripstack’s log