The LoRa Developer Forum is now in read-only mode and new content will not be added.
Semtech, in its commitment to enhance user experience and streamline content, has successfully integrated the LoRa Developer Portal content into Semtech.com. As a result of this consolidation effort, the LoRa® Developer Portal Forum will be discontinued on May 1st. After this date, you will be automatically redirected to Semtech.com.
For any technical support related to LoRa, please feel free to reach out to our experts here. If you have sales inquiries, please contact us here.

FORUM

But what *is* the spreading factor?

I’m a student trying to write a term paper about a project that uses LoRa. After looking for information on what the spreading factor is, I’ve found three explanations and I’m completely lost on which one to use for my paper…

1: Number of bits encoded by one symbol.
2: Speed of a chirp/chirp frequency
3: SF = Chipping factor, number of chips sent per bit

Can someone help me on this? Sources would be very appreciated!

This video might be interesting https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxYY097QNs0

I was planning on adding the relevant sources, but couldn’t due to the limit of 2 links. This is the source for theory 2. After some more digging I found this paper which claims 1 and 2 to be correct (see 2.1 LoRa modulation). Source for theory two is the datasheet of the chip my HW uses (see 6.1.1.1 Spreading Factor). Latter doesn’t make much sense to me though…